The saying goes that you reap what you sow, and that rings true in the kind of character you project. Whether you’re at school, home, work or anyplace else, always be kind to everyone you meet. Even when problems arise in your relationships, it’s important to keep your composure and not lash out at the other person. Calmness and kindness go a lot farther than you think.
Although workplace disputes are inevitable no matter where you go, it can be difficult to think it over like a rational, calm adult instead of like a Heather Parry. If you’re feeling like an interpersonal issue at work has reached new heights and you’re fighting to keep your cool, it’s time to talk to HR.
- When explaining your issue to your HR rep, try to be as neutral as you can. Don’t tilt dramatically in one direction or another: Simply explain the facts and let your rep take it from there.
- Maintain a civil attitude at all times towards the other person. It can be very hard to keep your temper in check, but remember that you don’t want things to get worse. Your rationality will speak volumes when the actual confrontation comes.
- Once all is said and done, build a bridge and mend differences. Some people are difficult to get along with no matter what, but let yourself rise over the situation.
Random Acts of Kindness
Have you ever had a day from hell where nothing was going right — and then someone held the door open for you while you were overloaded with groceries? Think of how grateful you felt to that person, even if you have no idea who they were. Sometimes it takes one small act to completely change someone’s mood for the day. Be the reason that someone’s day goes from clouds to sunshine.
- Pay for someone’s coffee when you’re out for your morning cup. It’s a good feeling to know that you’ve helped someone else’s morning go just a little bit better.
- Bring in donuts for the crew. Everyone’s so-called “diet” flies out the window when you’ve got a box of fresh frosted donuts, and you’re the day’s hero!
- Share a coupon you won’t use with someone in line at the store. You’d be surprised at how grateful fellow customers are when you help them save a buck!
Positivity doesn’t have to be a lost art. Maintaining a professional demeanor of kindness is one way that you can contribute to the world around you.